King Open Extended Day Program (KOED)
Cambridge, MA 02139
The King Open Extended Day (KOED) is a unique collaboration between
the Cambridge Public School District and the City of Cambridge
Department of Human Services Programs (DHSP), designed to link the
school-day and after-school experiences of children and families. The
KOED is an afterschool program that is completely integrated into the
King Open School. Only enrolling children from King Open, KOED supports
children’s social and academic learning and provides children enrolled
with a holistic school experience from the moment they enter the King
Open building to the time that they are picked up from afterschool.
- We work to create a child-centered and enriching after-school environment for students
- We provide a range of after school activities that respond to
different learning styles and encourage exploration, creativity and
- We work with children in our after school program and during the school day.
- We work in partnership with King Open school-day teachers and staff to support the academic growth of enrolled students.
- We see ourselves as partners with parents and caregivers in educating their child.
- We provide outreach and referrals to community resources that may
benefit the child and family, including summer programming (KOED does
not run a summer program).
- We recognize that each child brings a unique set of life experiences
at home, in school, with peers and adults, and in her/his community,
and help to bridge these different worlds.
- We build an understanding of the factors that impact each child’s
development, and work with key people in her/his life to help the child
succeed in different settings.
values social learning equally with academic learning. Teaching
strategies for social interactions and coping skills, KOED staff are
charged with creating a safe, child centered environment that responds
to the individual needs of children while also building teamwork and
community. Using Project Based Learning units for curriculum delivery
and the Responsive Classroom approach to teaching, KOED’s head teachers
create a menu of activities and learning experiences for children that
offer a large picture of the community they live in and the world they
will be shaping later in life. After school activities include:
- Afternoon meeting and group activities
- Project-based learning and enrichment activities
- Homework and academic time
- Indoor and outdoor non-competitive and healthy competitive games, recreation and play
- Healthy living and citizenship
- Reading, literacy, arts (both visual and performing), and sports
- Field trips, special guests, and events
Dates and Hours of Operation
are in operation for 10 months, from the first day of school in
September to the last day of school in June. We do not run summer
programming. We are closed on most city and legal holidays.
We are open
from 2:55PM to 6PM pm every school day, 12:55PM to 6PM on early release
days and 8AM to 5:30PM during school vacations.
New registration is for children in kindergarten through 5th grades that attend the King Open School only.
Families interested in enrolling a child should fill out an
Enrollment Request/Waitlist Form, available in the KOED office (room
123) or from the King Open School Family Liaisons.
enrolled children and siblings of children in the program may get first
priority. Newly registered children are accepted based on availability
and a date of Enrollment Request. Some slots are reserved for referrals
from school staff and collaborating agencies, and for families in
significant need. Tuition Assistance is available for eligible families.
, Program Manager, 617.349.4469
Carmen Cohen, Assistant Program Director,
Darrell Williams, King Open Principal,
Ellen Semonoff, Assistant City Manager, Department of Human Service Programs,